Monday, July 30, 2007

Minimum wage raise: 70 cents an hour (to $5.85 per hour).

Congressional pay raise: $4,400 per year (to $170,000 per year)

Congress approved the law making its pay raises automatic in 1989, giving legislators an easy way to avoid tough votes that could hurt them during re-election campaigns. Since then, congressional salaries have nearly doubled, from $89,500 to $165,200 a year.

President Bush is paid $400,000 a year. His salary isn't affected by changes in congressional pay.

Who needs a salary? Bush can pocket $400,000 in a blink via Halliburton et al.

And according to this article, Congress still can't avoid re-election campaign concerns.

The House of Representatives already has cleared the way for such a raise in 2008, but a bipartisan coalition is out to block it, with critics saying the money could be better spent during a time of war and high deficits.

If they're smart, this bipartisan coalition won't give up until they do block it...unless they want their approval ratings to remain at or below Cheney levels.

6 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Why is this even a debate?

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Why does congress make more in one year than I have made in ten?
Damn,this tequila's good at numbing my hate.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Hey, you didn't wait for me! It's okay, I raided the wine cellar.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I'm sorry. I was watching my own personal Tom Snyder retrospective on YouTube, and I got weepy, so it was time for the hard stuff.
You know, I'm coming off as a pot loving alcoholic on these posts.
I am one, but that really isn't the point.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I like to look at one's vices as virtues.

Ergo: Pot loving alcoholism is a good thing.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Thank you for the compliment, then. I will remain a pot smoking alcoholic for the greater good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home