Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Mark your calendars:

From the Judiciary Committee:

House Judiciary Committee to Address Presidential Clemency Power

(Washington, DC)- Today, House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, Jr. announced that he will be holding a full committee hearing next week titled, “The Use and Misuse of Presidential Clemency Power for Executive Branch Officials.” The hearing will be held next Wednesday, July 11, at 10:15 am in the committee’s hearing room, 2141 Rayburn House Office Building.

“In light of yesterday’s announcement by the President that he was commuting the prison sentence for Scooter Libby, it is imperative that Congress look into presidential authority to grant clemency, and how such power may be abused,” Conyers said. “Taken to its extreme, the use of such authority could completely circumvent the law enforcement process and prevent credible efforts to investigate wrongdoing in the executive branch.”

Who: The House Judiciary Committee

Witnesses, TBA

What: “The Use and Misuse of Presidential Clemency Power for Executive Branch Officials”

When: Wednesday, July 11, 2007, 10:15 am

Where: 2141 Rayburn House Office Building

The hearing: Wednesday, July 11 at 10:15 a.m. Eastern.

11 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

!!!!!

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well pay attention, gang. Go read the Digby from tonight and see how important this COULD be if done correctly.

Pray they don't eff it up.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Do you think they heard us???

BTW, I tried calling the White House and they put me through to the 'comments' line...which did not pick up. The phone rang and rang until I just gave up, which is what they wanted to do. I also wrote an e-mail to Pelosi...not sure if that will ever be answered.

What are the chances the media will actually cover this committee hearing?

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, ME. I didn't even try to call despite Biden's pleading and helpful posting of the number.

I hope media pays attention.

Cliff!!!!!

He would know better.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Go here:
www.CorrenteWire.com

and scroll down until you find the post called "Can you tell me if what I've got is the real White House phonebook, in case the switchboard's down when I call about Scooter?"

Elayne Boosler fielded a call about this site on Steph Miller (she's subbing). It apparently works if you follow the directions laid out.

I haven't tried it, but testimonials were coming in.

Let us know, okay?

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

Thanks! I am posting this on my blog with a hat tip to you! :)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Thank's gottalaff! I'll put that up on my blog.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Well, today I decided the best way to release the anger toward Bush was to destroy him. So, I bought a little monkey stuffed toy that had a squeaker in it and named it George. My dog loves toys with squeakers. So, I gave it to her and watched her promptly tear the thing to pieces and pull out the squeaker...which she also tore to pieces. It was a feeling of total bliss, for both of us. I almost felt the urge for a cigarette when it was all over. Ahhhhhh.....

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT is an excellent idea. I have a dog who do the exact same thing. Off to WalMart tomorrow for a squeaker toy named george.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Tomorrow I'll be heading to petsmart for a duck. I'll call him Dick.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I wish I had a dog! My cats just stare at toys, walk warily around them, and proceed to the business section of the newspaper.

Suzie-Q and ME...thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home