Tuesday, July 03, 2007



No wonder Republicans are a dying breed-
they are boring as hell.

Here are a few "excerpts" from the National Review summer-book recommendations


John Derbyshire is a contributing editor to National Review
High up on my reading list is The Reagan Diaries. I am frequently embarrassed in conservative company by not knowing half as much about the 40th president as everyone else seems to.

I'm sorry, I don't know this guy Derbyshire, but that is just a pathetically nerdish statement.
Nancy French is the author of Red State of Mind: How a Catfish Queen Reject Became a Liberty Bell and cofounder of Evangelicals for Mitt.

For Women Only:
What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men, by Shaunti Feldhahn
I have a general aversion to “marital advice books.” However, the author’s appearance on Focus on the Family was so popular, James Dobson asked her back for three segments. This got my attention.

Got my attention too. Must. Not. Read.
Kathryn Jean Lopez is the editor of National Review Online.

For fascinating gossip and popular political history? Forget about The Diana Chronicles when there’s Robert Novak’s The Prince of Darkness.


Oh yeah. I've heard about that Novak book.
Huh. I'll wait til they both hit the remainder bin.

Oh oh, seems like there is one sane person over there.


John J. Miller is National Review’s national political reporter.
A few months ago, I went on a Michael Connelly spree, reading his crime thrillers at a clip of about one per week. The best is probably Angels Flight, for its vivid portrait of cops, killers, and lawyers in Los Angeles. My other Connelly favorites include The Black Echo, The Poet, and The Lincoln Lawyer.


It's worth going over there and seeing how they echo chamber even their ideas on books, and recommend mostly their bud's books (Heylo, Bill Bennett's book a "must read"?).

So, what are you reading? My list inside.

6 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Lee Childs new Jack Reacher novel, the new James Patterson, the new Sophie Kinsella (shopaholic), Richard North Patterson, Micheal Chabon, new Mike Connelly, new Janet Evanovich, new Harlen Cobin and a bunch more I can't remember. I read 'em like chips.

Can you tell my library went online, so I can order them up from right here?

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Ashen Shard said...

heh, I actually am working on my thesis (still) and should have no time for reading, though I do have a 'to read' stack of books taking up a good amount of space in my closet.
But, three I plan on reading this summer; Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China, Jung Chang (actually started last summer, will finish this); The Audacity of Hope, Obama (quite boring so far in my opinion, and this from someone whose writing causes spontaneous snoozing); and Amish Society by John Hostetler ... haven't started it yet, but figure I should learn something since I'm always getting miffed about getting stuck behind their carriages when going through town.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Where do you live Ashen? We have quite a few Amish up here in IN also.

I've been off autobiographies for a while. Haven't found one that might get me interested again.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Ashen Shard said...

Right now I live in Chambersburg, PA ... most of the Amish are around Shippensburg though (at least those that I see), which is where I go to university. I'm actually from New Jersey (still a resident) so I figure I don't know as much about the Amish as I should.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I think my husband might be part Amish. He keeps turning off all the lights and shutting off the air conditioning and opening the windows...even when it's really hot and humid outside. I'm waiting for him to build an outhouse outside so I don't flush the toilet and use too much water.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I am reading 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. I will follow that up with 1001 Movie You Must See Before Die. This will be followed by a re-reading of Stephen King's On Writing, then I will finallly crack open The Gulag Archipelago. Then, if there is anytime left, Bridget Jones' Diary for the trillionth time. This will also happen in between reading Dora the Explorer books to my four year old, Shel Silverstein to my six year old, and telling my nine year old that no, she cannot yet read America by the Daily Show gang. She does not need to see naked Supreme Court Justices. Ever.
Ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home