Sunday, June 17, 2007


Happy Father's Day!!!
Father's Day,contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!

Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child.

Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.


Shout out to Mr Schecter who is celebrating his first as the recipient of the ugly tie, and my dad, who taught me how to argue.

7 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

Argh, why am I so sleepy still?

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

You just miss my exciting comments to wake you up in the morning, Paddy!

Wake up! Wake Up! WAKE UP!!!!!!

:-)

Happy Daddy Day, Cliff!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Yup, just got back last night. No computers, tv or newspapers. Yikes, I have a lot of catching up to do!

I put a post about Tiffani on my blog for Fathers Day today....with the permission of GottaLaff and Tiffani, of course. I linked it to this blog.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

ME, thank you sincerely.

Happy Father's day to Cliffy and everyone else who is a happy father! And has a day.

I'm off to La Jolla. : )

See you Tuesday.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats and welcome to fatherhood, Cliff! Hope you don't get "socked and tied".

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I live in Eastern WA and know some Dodd's. I wonder if they are from the same family? I don't know them well enough to ask though.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I about the collection should secure more info then it has.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home