Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sheehan Calls It Quits

I feel bad for Cindy Sheehan. She has been through so much, suffered such an unimaginable loss. Yet she tried to channel her pain into something positive, but unfortunately, that has not turned out well either.

Her farewell letter on-line is tragic. It's sad because you can feel the anger and passion that made her a force in the peace movement, but it's also sad because you can see the impolitic that made her an easy target for her critics to lampoon (saying that America is on its way to being a "fascist corporate state" is somewhat beyond the Kucinich fringe). But the tragedy is the last few paragraphs, which reek of frustration and sadness tinged with an indulgence of self-importance. It's really an uncomfortable end, as you can read.

This is my resignation letter as the “face” of the American anti-war movement. This is not my “Checkers” moment, because I will never give up trying to help people in the world who are harmed by the empire of the good old US of A, but I am finished working in, or outside of this system. This system forcefully resists being helped and eats up the people who try to help it. I am getting out before it totally consumes me or anymore people that I love and the rest of my resources.

Good-bye America…you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can’t make you be that country unless you want it.

It’s up to you now.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

She could be a real pain, but you have to give her credit for getting the ball rolling.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I supported her in the beginning, but then she just got to be an annoyance. Her message was good, but she expected too much in a short time. Her resignation letter was a bit over the top, "Good by America...you are not the country that I love.."? Give me a break! She's right, she can't "make" this country be anything, she could only awaken Americans to what it is and let them decide how to go about making the changes, in their time and in their way. She was too pushy. A little humility would go farther than whining.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger BC said...

I feel the same way, Mary Ellen. It's hard to tell if she got insulated with anti-war protesters, or its just her. The resignation was just over the top, and it did truly make me sad

 
At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone should judge her actions unless they have been in her shoes.... She was a gifted writer and I will miss her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home