Tuesday, July 10, 2007


Days after 9/11, as a young Army reservist, he volunteered to go to war. He was soon in Afghanistan.

The next year, he was sent out again, this time to Iraq, part of a Special Operations team.

In the next two years, he was sent to Iraq again. And again.

He thought he was done. But now, the Army wants Sgt. Botta one more time.

The 26-year-old Port St. Lucie man has been ordered to report to Fort Jackson, S.C., on July 15 for his fifth deployment. And that has compelled Botta, a first-generation American who counts himself a quiet patriot, to do something he never thought he'd do: sue the Army. [...]

''We were in a wartime situation,'' he said. ``I did what they asked me to do. I went over and did it. And then when I was leaving, they told me I could leave. They told me to get on with my life, and I did. Now it seems they've changed their mind.''

One more painful example of how our reservists are being rewarded for their dedication.

And I hope he sues their skivvies off. There. I'm being as unpatriotic and terrorist-y as Sgt. Botta.

4 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

The Sgt's. got spunk.

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate that I have the feeling this won't end well for this guy. I'm gonna just wipe that thought from my brain and hope he gets some satisfaction after all he's been through. He's a better man than I am.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

True patriot, sir, that is what you are.
Canadian Prime Minister William McKenzie King said, before WWII, when asked about conscription, told a journalist, " Conscription if necessary, but not necessarily conscription." This was in reference to Quebec, a nation within a nation, being forced by a draft to serve the hated English we as a nation remain loyal to. Needless to say, WWII comes along, and every Canadian, Anglo and Franco, did their duty and served when called up in the draft.
Mr. President, if you want to continue this insanity, are you going to make this man go back a fifth, sixth, tenth time? Or are you going to reconstitute the draft, so your girls can go fight for their country and do their " patriotic duty"?
Yeah, I thought so. Once a coward, always a coward.
Prick.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Kirsten, I particularly enjoyed that last word. Cathartic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home