Friday, June 22, 2007

I just got a message from my dear pal Tiffani. If you hadn't followed my series (which can also be read on Mary Ellen's blog), I ran a 4-part post, unedited, quoting a letter written to me by my 14-year-old friend/student about her 33-year-old father being sent to Iraq. Powerful words from a very frightened kid.

Today she got to speak to her father for the first time since he left--on Father's Day of all things. Here's what she wrote, again unedited:
he is goood he says its like
supercalifragilistic hott out there
it was like 120 yesterday he said
i feeel so bad for him lol
im alright i cry everytime i talk to him
im just worried lol
and today i heard like shooting in the backround
and he was like" I GOTTA GO!!! I GOTTA GO!!!"
and i havnt talked to him since soo
idk* im just scarred
I'm scared, too. This is Tiffani's reality. This isn't a movie, Chimp In Chief, it's f***ing real life. Or real death...for 3,546.

*idk is MySpaceSpeak for "I don't know".

10 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

The Dems better get their act together and do something about this.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

gottalaff

Well, I've been thinking of Tiffani and her dad since Father's Day. If it's ok, I'll add her new note to my post.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Absolutely. You have no idea how touched she is that we're putting her feelings out there.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=/
peggy i love you
thanks for posting all
of this stuff its such
a great relief that
everyone knows what the kids go through
and it makes me feel beeter that im not going through this alone
and i have support =]

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

That last comment was from Tiffani, as if it wasn't obvious enough. <3

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I just added a section in my sidebar that shows everytime there is an update from Tiffani. That way anyone can go to the original post and it will be added to the bottom of the post.

Tiffani! You have more support than you know, kiddo! We're all pulling for your dad and of course, you and your family are in our prayers. ;-)

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

ME, we're both sending you a hug right now.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Thanks, I'm happy to do what I can. Any word from the New York Times yet?

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

It was the L.A. Times.

And, no. Which is about what I expected. Nice, huh?

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tiffani for letting our Laffy put your experience out for us to see. Americans as a whole are not making any sacrifice for this war and we actually hear more about the Iraqi suffering than we do about the American families that are sacrificing in a way that we can never understand.

Lots of people on radio and tv are all about "support the troops". They use that as a way to put themselves above other people who may disagree with the way this war is going. We see lots of nice stories about how some organizations are having camps for kids or setting up scholarships, but we don't much hear about how this actually affects kids like you.

I hope you guys are successful in bring that message of your personal experience to a wider audience and if there's anything I can do to help I will. I'm going to look at what ME has done on her blog and see if I can do something like that on mine.

Peace, girl and Godspeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home