Saturday, February 03, 2007

Hey boys and girls,

As I write this, I sit at the DNC Winter meetings and listen to Joe Biden speak. His plan on Iraq is somewhat interesting, and I must admit to having given it lots of thought.

But whenever you have to begin a speech apologizing for racally insensitive comments, it is generally a not a good sign of things to come. Also, each candidate has 10 minutes to speak. Does anyone think he can do it?

One more important thing, I just heard Kathleen Sebelius speak...she is a rock star. I have been a huge fan ever since I did polling in 2001 in Kansas in an attempt to win legislative seats. She already had crossover appeal. Since then she has won the governorship twice, with large margins in a state with 27% registered Dems.

Governor Sebelius has seen us pick up a House Seat in her state (Nancy Boyda), and win back the education board from those who still think a good bleeding is necessary to get rid of a fever and Copernicus got what was coming to him. She convinced moderate GOPers sick of the wingnuts in their party to switch over and run as Dems as her Lt. Gov (in this case the former Chairman of the Kansas GOP) and AG, and both won (in the latter case, we beat a panty sniffing loon who wanted access to private abortion clinic records).

She is also the daughter of a former popular governor of that unimportant state of Ohio. I have been big on her as a veep or presidential candidate for a long time (going on, well, five years now), and am even more convinced. A woman, who is a powerful speaker and talks like a human being, who has crossover appeal and could make Kansas competitive and put Ohio in the bag...

Let's not forget Bill Richardson, who just started speaking. He has a lot of charisma. I am a fan. He began his speech by saying "any Democrat who spoke here would be better in the White House than the current occupant...as my VP."

He has been in Congress, an executive, is Hispanic, from the Southwest, has brokered deals in North Korea and Darfur and balanced the state budger while helping working familes and cutting taxes for small businesses and raising teacher pay every year. A knock against him is how he didn't put us over the top in that important house race against Heather Wilson or the 2004 election.

In any case, I think these are two of our top VP candidates (if Richardson can't make it as president, which is still possible). No endorsements yet, as usual, but you can tell from what I wrote I a big fan of Richardson's and Sebelius'.

What think you my friends?


PS Sorry no links, having some trouble with blogger (or my laptop).....

10 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

*sigh* blogger ate my first post.

Where are you sitting? I've been looking for familiar faces in the crowd....

Biden was good and Richardson started out good (and funny).

I've heard great things about Sebulis too- a rising star in a heaven full of 'em!!! Democrats Rock!!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

You here Paddy? I am at the back in front of the cameras where there are a few rows set aside for bloggers. Blue button down and khakis...

Come find me Paddy!!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

You funny boy Cliff- I meant on the teevee. They are carrying it live on CSpan.No $$ to fly to DC- I wish!!

Blue button down & khakis!! You rebel you!!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

Mental image of Cliff's back in blue yuppie wear as might be seen on C-span here in Texas.....

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Oops...Sorry Paddy. Forgot about that C-SPAN thing.

I know I am such a rebel. Hey, it was the DNC Winter Meetings. I went to meet people to fund the many wonderful projects I have planned for Republicans over the next two years. You know about the McCain one. But we have one or two others in the works.

Next time, I promise to wear a muscle shirt and jeans that perfectly fit the contours of my ass...

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Oh My.

I don't know which image is more disturbing......

Where the hell are BC and Mike?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Say that again, only slower, Cliffy.

The mental image is staggering.

Oh, wait, no. That's me who's staggering. Must've had too many cans of wine.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

uh oh, gottalaff got into the vino again...

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

::hic::

I've never been into DeVito in my life! It's all a nasty rumor spread by Rhea Perlman.

Oh.

Never mind.

::hic::

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

I met Rhea once. She was speaking for Clinton when I was a young pup in college in '92. So you could say Rhea Perlman brought me into politics gottalaff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home