Monday, May 28, 2007

via AP


Iraq puppy adopted by fallen soldier's family
He was photographed with dog from litter the day before he was killed

CONCORD, N.H. - The family of Army Spc. Justin Rollins finally got to hold one of the last things he held.

A female puppy the 22-year-old nuzzled the night before his death in a roadside bombing in Iraq frolicked Friday in New Hampshire, completing a nearly 6,000-mile journey that Rollins' family and girlfriend began pushing for after seeing photos of him with a newborn litter.

"It was the last bit of happiness Justin had," said Rollins' girlfriend, Brittney Murray.


I had seen this story for a couple of days, and I really fought against talking about it. But then I thought about the men and women over there.... suffering through so much crap- heat, discomfort, fear and missing home. Hell, I get all wubba wubba over a cute puppy here in Indiana, imagine how important one would be to someone who sees nothing but chaos and pain day after day.

And then for him to die in that crap hole of an conflict.

God bless him, his family, and all that cared for him. I hope the puppy will bring them years of comfort.

5 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Sigh, I'm tired of being sad. At least this one had a glimmer of hopefullness.

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J*sus God, I don't know whether to cry or smile at this. Think I'll do both. Glad they brought the puppy home, but every time they look at him, they'll think of their lost son. Aaaaarggghh . . . How come not a single member of the extended Bush family has had the guts or decency to sign up for this war??? What a pack of smarmy, insensitive bastards they all are.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but every time they look at him, they'll think of their lost son.
They won't need a dog to remind them of their lost son - it will happen all on it's own. Every day.

However... this pup is their last link to him, the last creature to see and be with the "real" Justin, the kind and compassionate son they loved - personally, I would think the comfort this provides would be immeasurable.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Since I do believe in the afterlife, I have to think that their son is smiling at the vision of that puppy with his parents, and I have the feeling they feel that he (their son) is watching over them and his new puppy friend.

My heart goes out to every family who has someone in Iraq and Afghanistan.

BTW, has anyone noticed that when the war is mentioned, Afghanistan is almost never mentioned. Most of the deaths are coming from Iraq, but I would think those who have family in Afghanistan are equally worried. All Memorial weekend, I don't remember Afghanistan being mentioned once.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger J&J said...

this pup is their last link to him

I agree. When my first husband died, his cat (whom he had adopted from a shelter when she was a kitten) was a great source of living comfort, both for me and for his mother and brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home