Saturday, February 24, 2007

RIP Gadflyer

On Monday, the blog where I got my start, the Gadflyer, will be closing down shop after almost exactly three years. There is a lot of competition out there, and many of the original founders and contributors (like me) have moved on to mostly doing other things.

I will always appreciate the opportunity they gave me over there, as I was transitioning from being an on-the-ground campaign hand to whatever it is I am now. I'll never forget sending out my first email to someone named Dr. Schaller, and my good friend Tom told me if I referred to him as "Dr" again, he wouldn't let me anywhere near the site. Those are the kind of people who have been involved in the project, very different from many of the self-important a$&#@les who run around this town clutching their thorny crowns and rolodexes.

I published one of my first articles there, as well as one of my first satirical pieces (pre-AMERICAblog), and it was the place where I learned how to blog (if I ever did).

The Gadflyer accomplished its goal of "promoting young progressive voices," as some of the stalwarts like Amy Sullivan (became an editor of The Washington Monthly), Tom Schaller (Whistling Past Dixie, Baltimore Sun and TAPPED), Joshua Holland (Alternet big shot) and Sarah Posner (currently writing a book on The Christian Right to be put out by the same publisher with whom I am publishing) achieved some pretty cool things after/during their association with the site. Check out who contributed here, to get an idea.

Me, I don't think I did so badly either. Although I had trouble sleeping last night because Rush has never heard of me.

In any case, thank you Gadflyer, and via con dios.

5 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Yeah, Rush may not have heard of you, but he knows you are an EXPERT ON EVERYTHING!!!!

Bwaa haa haa!!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

That was kind of funny...Too much hillbilly heroin to the brain perhaps

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Me said...

That, and all that peepee-doesn't-work medicine.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

You realize you just said that you think of Rush in the middle of the night, right? ; ) EW. Get him OUTTA your mind, Cliffy!

I owe the Gadflyer. That's how I "met" you. Their writers are talented, knowledgeable, and dedicated, and you shine among them.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger dave said...

That's a bummer. When they first came online, I used to read the Gadfly quite a bit. I remember, at one point, they brought the insufferable Amy Sullivan on board, who immediately went into her "progressive Christian martyr" schtick. I wrote an email to, I think, Schaller, bitching about her, and he wrote back, basically agreeing with me and saying she wouldn't be around too long. And she wasn't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home