Thursday, December 28, 2006

I found Edwards' announcement speech interesting and find myself in agreement with the inestimable Atrios. It seems to me that Edwards was speaking more like the leader of a movement, than simply a campaign.

This is important to me, as movement building on the right is what has saddled us with the fringe Morlocks still running the executive branch and Supreme Court these days (not to mention many state and local governments). And it is what can bring this country back to its Golden Era of progressive public policy, which reigned supreme from the 1930s-1970s (with Vietnam and the filibusters of Civil Rights legislation during this time duly noted).

Progressives need to think long term, not just about this next election. Edwards seems to be on that track.

** Also like Atrios says in this piece--while many of you know I am intrigued by Edwards--when I defend a candidate against right-wing smears or say something nice about another one, it doesn't necessarily mean I have chosen to support any single candidate. (although there are a few I know I can't support in the Democratic primaries, but I'll let you guess who they are). If I choose to go with one horse, you'll be among the first to know

7 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He seems like such a decent man. I actually watched his announcement this morning on teevee live, and Matt Oh-I-Want-To-Maybe-Be-A-Real-Reporter-Lauer had the nerve to ask Edwards if living in a $3 million dollar house, could he possibly relate to the poor? I just DO NOT remember ANY reporter anywhere asking Dubya that question oh so long ago. Do you?

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Edwards is a decent man, and I guess we will see if he has enough fight in him to pull ahead of the pack.

He needs a combination of ripping the head off anyone who tries to paint him as weak, and a sack full of original ideas on how to get our country back on track. He also has to lose that baby-face image which makes him look like an inexperienced kid. Hell, it looks like Hillary can take him in a fight with one hand tied behind her back.

Of course, I haven't seen his speech, so maybe there is a glimmer of fight in the guy that I haven't seen yet. I was certainly unimpressed with the last interview I saw with his wife. He looked a bit hen-pecked and sheepish to me.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's strange to think that Cliff was not alive in Camelot.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Thank you Fernando. No I am not quite that old. Although I did just have a birthday, I'll let you guess how old I am :)

I agree mary ellen, to me Edwards needs to show that fight that he is on our side and he will beat the spit out of GOP if they go after him on bs.

Or frankly, as hillcountrygal pointed out, on such stupidity as the house he lived in. He should point out where he came from, what monied whores Bush and Cheney are and remind people that FDR wasn't that poor (that is an understatement obviously)...and um, I think he did a few things to help those in need if I remember my history

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Cliff

I would guess your age to be around 35. If I'm wrong and you are younger, you have my permission to become indignant and slam the blog door in my face. Just don't stay mad for too long! I'm a sensitive soul, ya know!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

mary ellen,

35 on the dot...you are one smart gal...

I wouldn't get mad if you thought I were older. A relatively close member of my wife's family thought I was turning 30, which shocked me a bit...

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

//35 on the dot...you are one smart gal...//

With age comes wisdom....I'm so friggin' wise, it ain't funny. :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home