Friday, December 22, 2006

I am heartened by this New York Times story. As we have found out, often painfully, Republicans can't govern. Yet, Democrats, at least up until this past cycle, had been having an equally tough time winning since the 90s ended.

So the fact that Democrats are shoring up potentially vulnerable House members for 2008 before they are even sworn in this year, by giving them good committee assigments and the like, is good news that Dems are finally understanding how this game is played.

I don't believe that old saying "good policy makes good politics" always to be true (sadly, see segregation in the 1960s, for example), but it certainly can be. And it should be, in the case of furthering progressive interests by passing meaningful legislation, but also making sure our members continue to hold their seats.

5 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Yeah I know Ed. He actually taught at my Masters program at Columbia. I am wondering how they're handling the egg on their face about now...

Don't you wish he had been elected mayor? Now that would have been a blast...

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

hillcountrygal,

All I gotta say is karma better be a bitch this time :)

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Cliff, I believe I've figured out how to post here. I'm such a technophobe, alas.

I am actually thrilled that the leadership seems to understand what they need to do to keep the rethugs a permanent minority.

OT: Why don't the Dems have their convention in NOLA? What's stopping them?

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing I want most is to see Congress return to being a working, deliberative institution, intent on serving the people instead of pandering to a few.

Wait. What? Wow, Bose, is THAT what Congress was intended to be? I'd almost forgotten.

Btw, I wish Pelosi had agreed to more camera ops by CSPAN. Or am I being naive?

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

barbara,

I think they would love to do it in New Orleans I think issues like hotels, transportation, etc., might be logistically impossible still because what the decions of "The Decider" have wrought down there."

But let me write this as a born and bred New Yorker. If the Democrats pick New York, they are CRAZY. I will write a post on this soon.

Here we are making gains in the west, from Montana to New Mexico, and Colorado has been the linchpin. We have gained a governor, senator, two house members and both state legislative chambers over the past two cycles.

If New Orleans ain't doable, please Democrats, have the insight to ignore a certain women with the initials HRC and have it in Denver!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home