Sunday, August 26, 2007


'Unhinged' over the Clintons

A "vast army of Clinton-haters" is after Hillary. What, again? Mmmm, this will bring back memories, so close your eyes, lean back in that squeaky old desk chair at your computer, and think back fondly to yesteryear. Here are a few of the ringleaders:

  • Republican consultant Arthur Finkelstein
  • Richard Collins, a wealthy Texas philanthropist, businessman and political aficionado
  • David Bossie, who was the chief investigator for the House committee looking into the Clinton-era Whitewater scandal
  • Robert Morrow: A self-employed securities trader who works from home in Austin, Texas
  • Dick Morris, the Clintons' fired former consultant and all around greaseball
Did that bring a nostalgic tear to your eye? Me too! What could they be planning? Go git the sheriff 'cause ah'm afeared! Cue the doomsday music:
Armed with new technologies and fueled by animus, they are bent on preventing "four more years" of Clintonism. Every old charge, it seems, is being repackaged and sold as new. Every rumor is given a new, blog-stoked currency.
Oh no! Will they also use stun guns? High tech bombs?? Wait. Did they say blogs??
With his affable demeanor and sixth-generation Texas twang, Collins, 60, is the force behind StopHerNow.com, a humorous and snarky Web site, as well as an independent expenditure group dedicated to stopping Clinton's march to the White House.
No way! Not snark! Who uses snark!? Why, the very thought of using snark goes against every fiber of my very being! I mean, who does that? Humor as a....weapon?? That's just wrong.

Well, I gotta say, this is very intimidating. I'm a-shakin' in my liberal, trendy boots, because we all know how funny Republicans are. "Half Hour News Hour" just killed.
"This is not personal," said Collins, a Republican who has donated money to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani. "It's about her policies. We think they would be wrong for the country."
Oh. My. God. That was hilarious! They are funny! What's next? A stand-up act? Jugglers? Karaoke?
This fall, Citizens United, a conservative organization that claims half a million members, will release a documentary film about the life and times of Hillary Clinton. It's being made with the help of Dick Morris [...] "I think once people see this film, I don't know how she would be able to get their vote," said David Bossie...
Don't look now, but I see an Oscar in someone's future. Watch out, Michael Moore.
Clinton says she knows the attacks will come and that she's uniquely qualified in knowing how to fight back.
That's because she's "our girl". I know that to be true because she said so.


An adviser to Christopher Dodd says that their hatred is pathological. I can't imagine why. The question is, are people numb to this kind of thing, or will it actually take hold?
Even Paul Weyrich, the conservative activist, wonders whether the attacks will work. "Assuming she gets the nomination, the question for the general election is: Do these people contribute to the dialogue or do they turn people off," he said. "I haven't made up my mind yet."
Well, if you ask me, and I believe you did (I know I heard Kirsten ask), Hillary-Hate is so, like, 1990s. I am so texting all my friends to tell them to, like, shun these guys. Collins:
"What we're trying to do with our site is define Hillary with humor," he said. [...] [But he has] three rules to guide the writing on his site: Chelsea Clinton is off-limits; no gay-bashing allowed; and Bill Clinton's womanizing is OK, but no naming names.
There they go trying to be funny again. One day, I'll have to try that tactic.

11 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

It's just like old times, isn't it?

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I think it will work against them to be honest. I found myself, when browsing the blogs it seems about 99 to 1 against her, yet her poll numbers are good. And just looking at the invective against her on the blogs made me want to take a closer look at her.
Me, I will probably vote Kucinich in the primaries. He just speaks my language. But her voting record on women's issues is good, Edwards lost me during the Cheney debate and Obama makes me think he's too willing to buddy up to people I don't trust. Hillary too when you get down to it.
To get even more long winded (where's that bottle of wine I had around here?) I go back and forth with her. When I actually hear her during debates I like her a lot, but her pharma friends and votes on the war stick in my craw.
en scene

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

::applause for Addy:: Nice monologue! Tony worthy.

I tend to agree with you. Kucinich has ideas that I like, but he's in no way going to get the support he needs.

Edwards' populism appeals to me, but I completely agree with you on the Cheney debate. What a disappointment! But he is coming across stronger these days.

Hillary does present well, but her "corporateness" (good English, huh?) bothers me, as well as a few other things, the things we all say on a regular basis.

Barack is likable and exciting, but OhDave passed on a link awhile back that made me back off of him. He's too hawkish on Iran, per the piece--if I'm remembering correctly.

Despite all misgivings, any of these people, along with Dodd, etc., would be heads and shoulders above any Republican.

And yes, the idiotic approach that I posted about may offer red meat to those who live in the past, but at this point, it doesn't seem to be working.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

P.S.--That monologue was even longer and not as good as yours. I forgot to include a wine reference. ; )

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Oddly enough I hope they succeed before the primaries because I don't want another Clinton dynasty. Give me a real liberal, not a triangulating weather vane.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Isn't it sad that in we love Kucinch's ideas but always have to remind ourselves that he won't win? Good grief, if I weren't a lush already I'd take to the bottle.
I want Kucinich's ideas, Obama's eloquence, Hillary's poll numbers in one contender.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Kyle,
Exactly. That's what I was referencing in my comment. Plus her original war stance. The usual objections, that I was too lazy to enumerate.

Addy,
I've been saying the same thing. What a shame, huh?

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Obama made me mad with the " president of Canada" comment ( I know it just shows his lack of experience with foreign relations, but still, read.)
Hilary I admire, but I'm not sure I want her as president.
I love lil' Kucinch, but he won't get past Iowa.
Edwards appeals to me, and I love that YouTube video. If he won ( which he won't), I would not be upset.
Torn torn torn...

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

That's pretty much where I'm at, too, Kirsten.

Great minds drink alike...er, think alike.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with all this is we've had and still have so long to think about these candidates that nobody can be sure WHO they want anymore. We should all take a little break til the primaries and then GO BLUE next November!!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I'll be blue for November no matter what.
Of course, being Canadian, I'm always reluctant to go blue because it's the color of the Tories.
Blue for U.S., orange for Canada. Go, NDP, Go. Jack Layton for Prime Minister.
Yes, I enjoy rooting for a party that has never had more than a quarter of the vote by the Canadian electorate. I have my own special brand of masochism.
Margarita time again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home