Monday, August 27, 2007


I'm just the messenger

Oral Sex Can Lead to Throat Cancer


I had a mouth full of water and nearly did a spit take when I read that. Okay, no, but if the visual fits...
Human papillomavirus (HPV), which is believed to be responsible for most cervical cancers, may also be at the root of many cancers of the mouth and throat, new research suggests.
Dr. Erich Sturgis, an associate professor of head and neck surgery and epidemiology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, in Houston, says:
"Oral sex can't be considered safe sex."
I'm beginning to hear a collective scream across the city state country world.
"We always thought, to prevent these cancers, all we had to do was get people to stop smoking and drinking excess alcohol, and stop chewing tobacco, and that we'd eliminate most head and neck cancers," said Sturgis. But, he added, future prevention efforts will likely focus on the HPV vaccine and on safe sex practices. For now, he said, women who've had an abnormal Pap smear and their partners probably shouldn't engage in oral sex.
And no, this article isn't tongue in cheek.

Okay, I'm going now.

UPDATE: In a related story, NRA board member and Senate point man for the gun industry, Larry Craig, arrested for solicitation of gay sex in airport washroom. You can read about it here and here, and just about everywhere else.

UPDATE #2:
He has been one of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's top Senate supporters, serving as a Senate liaison for the campaign since February. (H/t to AMERICAblog)

16 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

There I go with the penile humor again.

Somebody stop me.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

No.

But I won't touch it. Nope.

It's not like it blows or anything.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

You have a real head for comedy.

D'oh!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

And a body to match.
Ouch, that was harsh, even for me. And I'm talking about myself.
Three kids ain't good for the boobs.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Don't "blow" your hot image from the Keith post!

And "head" for comedy...went past you? No way.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Nope, it didn't, just couldn't come up with anything...
And I really look like Angelina Jolie. I swear!
No, not really. I just wish I did.
Although the pilates is helping. Too bad the tequila and Cheetos don't.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Whew! Close call. For a second, I thought one got by you.

Hey, Angelina ain't got nothin' on us.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

True, true. We are smart, talented, totally hot, and liberals to boot.
I think she has two of those.
Besides, I don't get the whole Brad Pitt is hot thing. Never did.
Keith is my ideal...

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I think she has two of those.

Yes, yes she does.

I know, Brad's never been my type either.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

And now Mitty Boy Floyd's involved, too. I can't stop laughing.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger flo said...

heh heh you said tongue in cheek;))

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

flo-b-flo is astute and witty. We are now best friends.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Hey!
Wait, I did miss that one...
I will hang my head in shame. I am sorry, Laffy. I will go and find my flogger and proceed...

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Worry not, K, you're allowed one freebie.

Now, in the future, I expect you to stay alert at all times.

Are we clear?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Yes'm.
Clear as day.
I am humbled.

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if you can get throat cancer from blowing big, scary black guys in public bathrooms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home