Wednesday, July 25, 2007


Re: Gonzo, Arlen Specter tells reporters that "there is a jail in the Capitol complex"
Specter later circled back to Gonzales on the matter, warning him: "My suggestion to you is you review your testimony to find out if your credibility has been breached to the point of being actionable," Specter said. The maximum penalty for being caught lying to Congress is five years in prison and a fine of $250,000 per count. Specter wryly noted to reporters during a break that there is a jail in the Capitol complex.
And speaking of getting dragged off to jail, after watching the House Judiciary Committee this morning on CSPAN 3 (Consideration of Contempt Citations Judiciary) citing White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and former Counsel Harriet Miers for contempt of Congress, and with the knowledge that King Chimp will decree that none of his royal court can be held in contempt, I'm more convinced than ever that the inherent contempt option could be the logical next step.
It was unclear whether the White House would allow a prosecution of criminal contempt to move forward, since the refusal to comply is based upon Bush's claim of executive privilege.
Inherent contempt:
Under this process, the procedure for holding a person in contempt involves only the chamber concerned. Following a contempt citation, the person cited for contempt is arrested by the Sergeant-at-Arms for the House or Senate, brought to the floor of the chamber, held to answer charges by the presiding officer, and then subject to punishment that the House may dictate (usually imprisonment for punishment reasons, imprisonment for coercive effect, or release from the contempt citation.)
I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard inherent contempt discussed, even suggested, by John Dean, Bruce Fein, and others who understand it better than anyone. When it comes down to it, what's left? The utter disregard of Congress by the Monarchical Branch requires action.

Any lawyers out there?

Who thinks we'll see the Sergeant-at-Arms slap Harriet, the official president of the King George Fan Club (I hear she'll send out an 8x10 glossy of him for a price, assuming she's willing to part with one) with a spiffy new set of bracelets?

13 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Think about what we're having to consider!

And watching the Republicans, to a person, vote against the contempt citations made me sick. Their arguments were laughable, and they're willing to let any president, Republican or Democrat, become virtual dictators and completely weaken the legislative branch? WTF?

To use one of my favorite commenter's name in vain, Gimmeabreak.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger ohdave said...

And what if Bush orders the secret service to intervene forcibly if the sergeant at arms attempts to take her into custody?

We would officially have a military dictatorship at that point.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I wouldn't put it past him, which is the most depressing commentary I can imagine.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I can fit some people on my living room floor if you are all looking to flee...

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you located kirsten?

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and GottaLaff - it's all good. That's what the name's for.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A 'jail in the capitol complex'. So fitting, considering we've all been held hostage by this administration for 6+ years.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Can't Bush just pardon them? After all, he's the decider here. I think if it went to the Supreme Court, they would get their "get our of jail free card from them." I'm not sure about this stuff, but the Supreme Court can overrule Congress or the Senate, no?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

We need a lawyer on this thread. I should look that up, but I don't have time.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Canadian here ready to take on anyone wanting to avoid the inevitable arrest, show trial, and Gitmo incarceration to come their way if Georgie Porgie decides to become President for Life.
Why is this Canadian so obsessed with American politics? Because I am no idiot, and I know what happens in the U.S. directly impacts my nation. Although I'm afraid that one day Bush will find us on a map and realize that my home province ( Alberta) is sitting on a huge amount of oil, and decide we must be saved from the turrists that believe in universal health care and invade, in which case I will start to plan to move everyone to France ( I like the food there, but Italy will work, too. I like voting every six months...)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Kirsten,
I love Canada. We used to drive up often when I was a kid.

I love your input, and you're smart to realize the repercussions can spread far and wide. Yikes.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Thank you, GottaLaff. I love Canada, too.
Not so much a big fan, though, of our Conservative government, but I'm expecting an election call within the year, and I'll be back out shilling for the New Democrats like I did last time.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Kirsten,
We/they need another dozen of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home