Sunday, July 01, 2007

Oh my.



Via Steve Benen
Noting that the United States had apprehended 1,000 people from Cuba in 2005, Thompson said, "I don't imagine they're coming here to bring greetings from Castro. We're living in the era of the suitcase bomb." Fidel Castro is Cuba's leader.

A video clip of Thompson's remark immediately circulated on YouTube and has drawn considerable attention in Florida, a key early primary state home to many Republican-leaning Cuban Americans.


As a Miami native, perhaps I'm slightly more attuned to the concerns of Cuban-Americans, but one need not be a Dolphins fan to know that Thompson's comments were surprisingly dumb. Immigrants from Cuba are fleeing Castro's dictatorship, not plotting to kill Americans.

What's more, Cuban-Americans generally vote Republican and have always been considered a key GOP constituency by presidential candidates hoping to win Florida's 27 electoral votes.


I've lived in Miami on and off for 20 years, and all I can say to Steve's words is amen, and pass the christianos y moros.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Ah man, now I'm hungry for Cuban food.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger ohdave said...

Not to brag or blogwhore, but I posted on this a few days ago and said more or less the same thing--Thomspon doesn't want to win Florida, does he?

Do any of these idiots have handlers to keep the idiotic comments from coming out in public? My god. These guys have long careers in politics to be so incredibly tone deaf.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home