Friday, June 29, 2007

You know what makes me sad about this? And it's not what you're thinking.
Failed bomb sparks UK terror alert
BRITAIN remained on high terror alert last night after police defused a car bomb they warned could have caused carnage in the heart of London's crowded entertainment district.

Amid fears a would-be suicide bomber was on the loose, new Prime Minister Gordon Brown warned of the ongoing threat faced by Britain, which soon marks the second anniversary of bomb attacks which killed 52.

What makes me sad is that my first reaction was skepticism after all the false alarms in the past. I kept wondering if this was another phony diversion from all the negative press about BushBlair. That I can't trust reports about something as important as this is lamentable.

6 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Going out for awhile. See ya later.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I did it again, didn't I Cliffy? I completely missed your draft. Sorry!

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right to be skeptical. I haven't seen anything that has proved to be more than a bunch a guys around a car being loaded onto a tow truck. They can say whatever they want but without any hard evidence I think they're making this shit up to scare us. How convenient for Brown to have "caught" this one just in time. Show me the proof.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laffy, it's not just lamentable that we're all sceptical, its actually quite dangerous. If, God forbid, there is credible evidence of another attack and we raise the threat level again, no one is going to take it seriously.

I really thin that's why we haven't seen the threat indicator as much since the elections last year - somebody with some say so finally screamed loud enough to stop crying wolf for political purposes or you'll have an even bigger mess on your hands.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Agreed. I hate what we're becoming. And I hate them more for taking the last 6 years and forcing very unwanted changes on us, creating turmoil, both politically and emotionally.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sad that our first reactions to government "alerts" is skepticism. I believe we have seen this from our government, but not so much Britain. I know of last years "plot" with airplanes, but that was the U.S. that rushed the thing to the public before a case was ready.
King George wants fear, the public wants clarity, and we respond with skepticism. How low our government "word" has sunk in the last 6 years.
How sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home