Wednesday, June 06, 2007


Bit of nostalgia...

"The Price Is Right" reminds me of staying home sick when I was a kid. It is such an "everyman" type game that you couldn't help but love it. (GWB would never make it off the floor) As the years went on, I figured it was an older persons thing.... the residents of the "Assisted Living" place my mom lived loved it, but I always thought it was just an excuse so they could leave the teevee on and watch the soaps afterwards.

Nope, they love them some Bob Barker.

Bob Barker Tapes Final 'Price Is Right'
By SANDY COHEN
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Blowing kisses to the camera, Bob Barker signed off on 35 years on "The Price Is Right" and 50 years in daytime TV in the same low-key, genial fashion that made him one of daytime TV's biggest stars.

Barker, who had said before the taping on Wednesday of his final appearance that he would try to act as if it was "just another show," stuck to that promise. He ended the program as he always has, signing off with the words: "Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered. Goodbye everybody."
(snip)

Barker has influenced the shows prizes over the years, said longtime producer Roger Dobkowitz.

"Because he's a vegetarian, we respect his wishes and we don't advertise meat products on the show," he said. At Barker's request, they also stopped giving away fur coats.


The first person I ever heard advocating for spay/neuter was Bob Barker, and he was one of the first people who I ever heard declare himself a "vegetarian".

Pretty heady stuff for a mainstream television star in the 70's.

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Toodles Bob.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I used to work for Mark Goodson Productions, and that was one of the shows I'd occasionally help with. Good times.

And, going full circle, one of the teens I worked with awhile back won her first car on "Price".

So many memories....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home