Saturday, March 10, 2007

So sometimes an idea just hits you like a lightning bolt. It often takes a combination of factors, if you're as dense as I am.

I was reading my pal Howie Klein's awesome blog today, and he announced that he and Jane Hamsher, as well as a few other notables in the blogosphere (John Amato and Matt Stoller) are going to be launching a Blue America Speaker's Bureau, to add to their other fanstastic Blue America efforts.

This is SO important, to get progressives a in front of crowds to practice speaking and to help those of us who go on tv for no or little pay, the chance to earn some money speaking.

Well, as if there were not good enough, Howie was kind enough to use me as the example of someone this project is set up to support. I was honestly flattered. This is no bullshit. I have so much respect for Howie, I can't tell you. He has had a ridiculously successful career in the music industry, and could be on an island somewhere right now double-fisting drinks with umbrellas. Instead he has chosen to fight for progressive values.

And when I say fight, I mean fight. Howie is one of those guys we all love, who hits the other side as hard, and usually harder, than they hit us. We need more Howie Kleins. Go visit his blog early and often. And you can catch the Blue America conversation right now at Firedoglake.

Yet, in the meantime, here's what hit me like the proverbial lightning bolt. I had been looking for an award to give to pundits/bloggers who kick ass, like The Jim Webb we give to public servants.

Well it now has a name folks: The Howie Klein

We'll have our first honorees today or tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

What think you fair readers?

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Cool!

I can't tell you, Cliff, how happy I am to see the progressives finally get a voice, a voice which is being heard all across the country!

Because of guys like you and Howie, John Amato, Matt Stoller and a multitude of others, we have a chance to get our voices heard. For once, out voice and opinions count for something.

All day today, on another so-called "Independent" blog, I've heard how the Democrats are falling apart and we can't agree on anything, etc. etc. and just when I'm beginning to get discouraged, I read the stuff on your blog and other blogs like Firedoglake and realize that we are stronger than ever and getting stronger by the day.

I know I've said it before, but, thanks kiddo! You're my hero. And thanks to Howie for recognizing the work you are doing. It's time to take back our country AND our party.

The "Howie Klein" is a great idea! Go for it! (Is there a naked Howie Klein statue that comes with the award, like the Oscars?)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I've felt like ME so many times. And then I have to remind myself that real growth and the strength and the persistence you need to find your voice doesn't happen overnight.

The Dems not only have to fortify and rediscover themselves, they also have to do that in a rapidly evolving political world. The vicious nature of politics is only outpaced by spurts of technology that provide instant response, hourly headlines, and perpetuation of relentless gossip, whether true or lie-based.

It's wonderful to see Howie Klein and co. lead the way just when we need it the most.

We're getting there, and more quickly, thanks to them...and you, Cliff.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Finian said...

This is a good thing to do and it would also be good to use local weekly and monthly papers to distribute columns or stories about the issues (and folks) on the blue side of things. One of the advantages of the right is the repeater effect - so many willing to pick up a theme. While the local papers don't pay much if at all they are always looking for material

 

Post a Comment

<< Home