Thursday, March 01, 2007

Irony of the Day

GOP Sen. Don Nickles on Clinton, 1998: "In my opinion, President Clinton is guilty of perjury. He is guilty of obstruction of justice."
Nickles now serves on the Libby Defense Board.

Update.... Ooops, spoke too soon
Huffington Post

Conservative Bush-Bashing Convention
Posted March 1, 2007 01:55 PM

WASHINGTON - Except for the low-heeled pumps, this could almost be a Netroots convention. Well, that and guys handing out Brownback bumper stickers.

Still, the annual Conservative Political Action Conference that began this morning is a three-day extravaganza of activism in which purists, not pragmatists, are on parade -- and they are busy bashing the president.

"We cannot afford to be 'Bush Republicans,'" Phyllis Schlafly said, to great applause, in the vast Omni Hotel's largest ballroom. "This has got to be a grassroots party," and works best as such, as when "the whole conservative movement rose up to tell George Bush that we could not have Harriet Miers on the Supreme Court."

She was incensed, she said, that that George Bush had made such a big deal of signing the bill into law that would provide for a fence along part of the border between the countries: "Was that dishonest? I've been looking at TV every night and haven't seen that fence being built yet. We want that fence!"

(snip) "I wish the Republicans paid as much attention to the conservative philosophy as Democrats do to Left."


Phyllis Schlafly, scaring more little children than the boogeyman since 1910!!!!

7 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

::shudder:: Lynn Cheney comes to mind when I look at that photo. Cold, icy, humorless, heartless virago.

I haven't used the word "virago" since 8th grade English.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, gottalaff, I had to look that one up. I don't think I've ever come across that word before.

But damn it fits!

Have you checked out her scholarly enterprise Conservapedia?

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

I have purposely stayed away from the "Covservapedia". Seen enough about it on other sites that I know I'd just spend allll my time there laughing/crying/screaming.

It is a given in Europe that we're an absolute bunch of pansies for letting the RR poo poo science. I would have to agree.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Gimmeabreak,
Conservapedia? Wow, big, contrived words like that intimidate me.

What is that? Paddy? Gimmeabreak? I'm too lazy to look it up.

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Paddy try it out if you get bored some day! One thing it will do is totally scare you away from home-schooling. It's home-schoolers with connections to the Schafly family that started this horror.

My husband and I were hooked on Saturday. We kept going from entry to entry to find out which ones were real and which ones were hacks by nasty people like us. I woulda hacked, but they closed down their registration.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gottalaff, I got o whiff of facetiousness, there, lol. But honestly, I have never heard of virago before tonight.

See my post above or visit the Schafly family version on Wiki at www.conservapedia.com

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger low-tech cyclist said...

I remember Schlafly from her early days as a pro-Goldwater, antifeminist activist in the 1960s. It amazes me that she's still around.

I assume she must be one of the undead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home