Wednesday, August 22, 2007



House computers used for thousands of Wikipedia edits

Major corporations, media outlets, and--dun dun dunnnn--Congress are sticking their Wikis where they're not wanted:
Political spats, petty vandalism, cleft chins and Rep. Rahm Emanuel’s (fictional) death by shark attack — Wikipedia users on House computers clearly have a lot of time on their hands.
So that's what they're doing during Bush speeches.
There are thousands of individual edits originating from computer users on the House of Representatives network. While most of the changes are nothing more than regular Wikipedia interactions on non-government topics, a hefty number include edits to lawmakers’ entries — and some House Wikipedians might not be entirely pleased to see their handiwork exposed.
Some House members have already been more exposed than they'd have preferred... "members" being the key word here. Mark Foley much?

9 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Here I am going all penile again. Somebody stop me!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I did a report on this last week with a Canadian slant. Seems someone at the House of Commons thought it prudent to try and eliminate all references about the Canadian government being complicit in the extridition of Maher Arar from the U.S. to Syria.
And someone wrote on former Prime Minister Paul Martin's entry that he was the worst PM ever. He was bad, but certainly better than Brian " Reagan's best friend, Irish-Eyes-Are-Smiling singing" Mulroney.
I encourage the penis jokes. They brighten my day.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I can always count on you to encourage my infantile humor, Kirsten. It's very comforting and kinda sick. Keep it up.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I am your audience. I'm also very nutrturing. Although my children often question that.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love the Wikipedia.
That, Myspace and Facebook.
And, oh yeah, AIM

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

maf54,
We have the same addictions.

Did I just say that out loud?

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I love Wikipedia and Facebook, too. I spend way to much time on those sites. Like I do here. And like I will at the new place. I have no life, and no deadline, so I'm a little aimless.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I have a life, endless deadlines, and I still spend way too much time there.

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wikipedia rules! Even if not all the info is accurate, it's still better than thumbing through a World Book. BTW, wonder whatever happened to all those door to door encyclopedia salesmen? Maybe Wikipedia knows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home