Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Steve Benen cites a Stu Rothenberg political report saying Dems have a good chance of reaching 60 seats in the Senate in 2010. I have, on occasion, taken umbrage at what Mr. Rothenberg has said (like when he pretty much dismissed every Dem who opposed Lieberman as crazy).

But what the hell, I like predictions like this. And if you look at the fact that the Dems just went through their worst cycle, in terms of the number of Dems up for re-election vs. Republicans, and that the vulnerable list of GOPers goes on and on for 2008 (Collins, Smith, Coleman, Warner, Dole, open Colorado seat because Allard is a chickenshit, Hagel may leave his seat open running for prez or by retiring), I think he may be onto something.

Also, I am of the same mind as my pal Joshual Holland (and, of course, thank him for giving The Real McCain a serious plug). If things don't massively change in Iraq, there is going to be an electoral bloodbath the scope of which we haven't seen in a generation in American politics, based on this issue alone. A realignment, I think, towards anti-war progressives (and pro-war Dems will NOT be immune).

The pajama-clad warrior class in Congress hasn't seemed to catch onto this yet. but then again, they are always the last ones to catch onto anything.

5 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Finian said...

Ihofe has very high unfavorable ratings and is considered vulnerable. It appears the problem is finding someone to run against him

All 21 of the Goopers should be challenge
And Norm Coleman who is a sleazy coward should be hammered in honor of Senator Wellstone

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Finian said...

As the House begins it debate -the Whtehouse has cut funds for the VA
so tell me again who supports the troops

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

I agree Katherine. If we could convince Governor Henry to run against Inhofe, he would be toast.

And yes, I am not sure they get any sleazier than old Shiny Teeth Coleman....

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

I heard about the VA funding cuts. I feel another rant coming on. There was another VA data theft just recently in Alabama. The say a hard drive was stolen. I have called for the resignation or firing of Sec. Nicholson twice now.

I just about blew my top when the last one happened and I got that Dear Veteran letter with a promise not kept. This administration is the absolute worse when it comes to the way that Vets are treated.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Katherine G.C and Donnie--

I felt the same outrage over the VA cuts. Unbelievable.

I've heard the same predictions on progressive radio, Cliffy. I was skeptical at first too, but now I'm slowly being convinced. There are just too many lives lost, too many lies, and too little faith in anything Bushco spews; people are waking up. Our job will be to keep them awake, alert, and active.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home