Friday, January 05, 2007

Hey folks. Sorry it has been little while, but it has been very difficult for me to write. One of my best friends in Washington, a fantastic woman named Maria Leavey, just suddenly passed away.

Maria was one of those people in the progressive movement behind the scenes, never asking for credit, but tirelessly working to promote people she barely knew on her own dime.

For example, she invited me to the conference where I met The Young Turks, which led to that gig on their show. She also introduced me to an interested publisher in my forthcoming book.

I will get back to writing soon. Hopefully today. She most certainly would have wanted it that way. But you should all know that a wonderful person and an important progressive ally was lost a few days ago. And a lot of people are hurting right now because of it.

Here is a tribute Cenk Uygur of the Turks wrote at The Huffington Post. He did an excellent job of capturing who she was.

11 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cliff, I heard this morning on the show. I'm sorry for your personal loss, but from the sound of it, we all lost.

All is not lost if we keep the example.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

My sincere sympathies for your loss. My gosh, it's so difficult to understand why those we love have to leave..but it sounds as though she made the most of her time on this earth caring and helping others. What a great legacy.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Thanks for your kind words fernando and mary ellen. They do mean a lot right now.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Big hug Cliff.

Off to read Cenks' post now.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Thanks Paddy

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, Cliff, I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. My deepest sympathy and a big hug for you and also to pass along to her loved ones.

What a loss. But she's one of those wonderful people that was a real gift to all of us. She'll always be around because of that.

<3

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Thanks gottalaff..I really appreciate it.

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't escape the grief on the net over Maria. She was everywhere I looked. So I didn't even know her but I was thinking of her all day long.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Thank you all for your kind comments...I should be back blogging this evening or tomorrow...

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Really nice write up in the Wa Po today on Maria today. The site is acting funky for me, but here is the link.

Washington Post Obit

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that link Paddy.

Maria sounds like a an amazing and very unique person. My thoughts and prayers are with both her family and all of you who knew her.

<3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home