Wednesday, August 15, 2007



More spying on Americans. Now it's spy satellites.

I'm sure Congress will attend to this the way they did when they let Gonzo monitor our calls and emails.
Law enforcement, emergency response and border control agencies have won greater access to the nation's spy satellites and other sensors to monitor U.S. territory.

The sharing of imagery and data will be especially useful in policing land and sea borders and in disaster planning, Charles Allen, the Department of Homeland Security's chief intelligence officer, said in a phone interview Wednesday.

The effort may eventually support domestic law enforcement activities as well, he said, but the legal guidelines for that are still being worked out.

I'm sure they'll work on guidelining us out of every last one of our privacy rights.

The CIA and Pentagon are generally prohibited from spying on American citizens, and Allen stressed that the new data-sharing effort doesn't violate that ban. ''This is not a system for tracking Americans,'' Allen said.

Thanks, I feel so much better now.

''What could go wrong? There's the possibility of a recurrence of past abuses -- surveillance used against political opponents as in the Civil Rights era, the McCarthy era,'' said Steven Aftergood, director of the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists.

''There's also an incidental erosion of personal privacy in which one now has to assume that anywhere you are, you are subject to overhead surveillance by the government. And that is a change in what it means to be an American,'' Aftergood said.

I couldn't agree mo-- Who's there? Someone's there, I can feel it.

''This is going be a very controlled process and I can't conceive of Americans having any serious concern,'' Allen said. ''No American should be at all concerned.''

I'm not concerned. Who says I'm concerned? Pfft! No way do I have any concern what--so--ever. Not me.

''They need to be subjected to an appropriate level of oversight. We seem to be retreating from intelligence oversight, not improving it,'' [Aftergood] said. ''The adoption of intelligence technology is moving faster than oversight can keep up with.... The basic system of checks and balances is being overtaken by new technology.''
I gotta go. "Big Brother" is on soon and I never miss an episode.

4 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Spy me a river.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Live and let spy.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

We should be a stand-up act, Kirsten. We'd kill.


Ooo, bad choice of words.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

We'd never have to say a word. I'm really funny looking. All you would have to do is point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home