Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Senior American military officers (and Earth) to Bush: Shiite Muslim militias are a bigger problem, and one that will persist even if al Qaida is defeated.

Tap tap tap! Hello Decider? Can you hear them now?
Despite President Bush's recent insistence that al Qaida in Iraq is the principal cause of this country's violence, senior American military officers here say Shiite Muslim militias are a bigger problem, and one that will persist even if al Qaida is defeated.

"The longer-term threat to Iraq is potentially the Shiite militias," one senior military officer said, echoing concerns that other American officials raised in recent interviews with McClatchy Newspapers.

But didn't they say violence is down? Well, hear this, GW Cheney:

Military officers hail the fact that violence is down as evidence that their campaign against al Qaida in Iraq is succeeding. But there's no sign of reconciliation between Sunni Muslims and Shiites, the rationale the Bush administration cites for increasing the number of U.S. troops in the country.
The military, THE MILITARY, says, no matter what, al Qaida or no al Qaida, the Sunnis will come back to fight the Shiites...and American occupiers. The president may be simple, but the mess in Iraq is not.
Few officials on the front lines, moreover, think that defeating the terrorist organization would end Iraq's troubles. They paint a far more complex vision of the violence than is evident in Washington-based pronouncements about al Qaida's involvement.
Can...you...hear...them...NOW?
"We are worried about a power vacuum," said Salim Abdullah, spokesman for the Sunni Iraqi Accordance Front. "We have cases now . . . where people started to believe that al Qaida was what provided their security. We struck al Qaida in one place, and the militias became active. . . . We asked the army not to let militia activity increase al Qaida's popularity among people."
Maybe he should switch to Verizon.

7 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

9/11, 9/11, 9/11!

al Qaida, al Qaida, al Qaida!!!!!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

You mean if I keep repeating myself over and over again, it makes what I say true?
I have a billion dolaars in my bank, I have a billion dollars in my-
Man, I just dropped my beer.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

You still have your beer in your hand, you still have your beer in your hand.

Did that work?

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

No, I just went a got another one.
I checked my bank account. No billions.
They LIED!
Wait, that's not news.
Sorry, I'll drink some more and see where that gets me.

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F.U.B.A.R. is something I think they came up with in WWII. (If you don't know what it means, google it.) And what we've got over in Iraq is definitely F.U.B.A.R.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger ohdave said...

Gotta laff, this is why the USM is currently arming Sunni militias

It's insane

GO read my site on this issue

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, during WWII
(you remember WWII, it was in all the papers) it was S.N.A.F.U. (Situation Normal All -- ) but F.U.B.A.R works just as well as far as this war is concerned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home