Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Norm Coleman Gets The Munchies

In today's Roll Call (sub required), an old friend of Norm Coleman reveals just how big a hypocrite the former Mayor is. Coleman sent out a letter opposing the legalization of marijuana (not a totally unreasonable position for a Senator from Minnesota to take, btw). However, a friend of Coleman's from his college days, Norm Kent, published a letter revealing that the Senator had a different opinion of the wacky tobaccy back in his college days. Frickin awesome!

One of Sen. Norm Coleman’s old college pals wants to reminisce about their undergrad days, but the particular good times he’s recalling — like smoking joints in dorm rooms — are ones the Minnesota Republican probably wants to forget.

Norm Kent, a former classmate of Coleman’s at Hofstra University in New York, recently fired off a letter to his old pal reminding him of the high times they once shared, after Kent received a form letter from Coleman in which the Senator takes a tsk-tsk attitude toward marijuana usage.

Kent, an attorney and radio talk-show host, accused his former toking buddy of hypocrisy in a letter posted on CelebStoner.com, a site devoted to stoner news. “How about admitting that if the [current New York] drug laws were applied to Norman Bruce Coleman on Long Island in 1968, or to me, or to our friends, and fellow students, you, I and others we knew and loved might just be getting out of jail now?” asks Kent, who serves on the board of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Among the stories he shares of their smoky high-jinks: They would cleverly tape their doors shut and burn incense to hide the smell, and Coleman once smoked pot while standing on the roof of a campus building during a protest.

8 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

Plus, can you believe his is parting his hair on the right instead of combing all back like he used to? (I actually read this someplace today)

Oy.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I still haven't recovered from his blinding teeth.

But this is just perfect. Kettle? Pot head on line 1.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hah indeed. Great stuff. Boy, I sure hope that some people that I knew in college don't decide to try to get me. Whoo - I could be in TROUUUUUBBLE.

I will not, however, be running any anti-drug campaigns any time soon.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger dustyanswers said...

30 years ago, with the nation in turmoil, we all smoked pot. So what? I quit all that when I had to go to work every day and raise a family without going to jail. Does that mean I can't advocate against drug use now? Even when I've seen personally the devistation drug use can cause in my own family, brothers, sisters and cousins?

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today with the nation in turmoil some youth smoke pot. So what? If you think it was ok for you to smoke dope because there was some unusual level of turmoil in your youth, but it is not ok for some college kid today, then you are a hypocrite. Period. And the letter from Coleman's buddy points that out.

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been saying this for a LONG time. I am 54 years old. I grew up in Oklahoma. We got high at least 5 nights a week all through college. Although I moved to California the day after college graduation, my family still lives in Oklahoma, and so I see my former classmates (in the small town) every other year or so. It makes me laugh to see THEM acting just like Norm. "Marijuana? Horrible stuff!" Yet, I remember getting higher than a kite WITH THEM almost every night.

Hypocricy is funny, but really bad when used in this context. And I totally agree with whoever said, "If you LIE to your kids (like saying pot is horrid)... and they find out you were lying, they will never believe you again."

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Joseph Nobles said...

dustyanswers:

What about the devastation wreaked by alcohol in some families? Shouldn't we get rid of alcohol for the same reason?

No. Alcohol abuse isn't a reason to ban alcohol anymore than marijuana abuse is a reason to ban marijuana. Yes, some people have problems with pot. Most don't. Legalize it, tax it, and let adults face the consequences of their actions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home