Monday, June 11, 2007

FYI:

On CSPAN2 right now, voting the Gonzo no-confidence resolution .
UPDATE: As predicted, it failed, 53-38. Here's what a few of them said before, and here's how they voted. I'm liveblogging, trying to keep up:
Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC): But at the end of the day, you said something that struck me, ‘That sometimes it just came down to these were not the right people at the right time.’ If I applied that standard to you, what would you say? (Judiciary Committee Hearing¸ 4/19/07) Voted NO.
Senator Gordon Smith (R-OR): “‘For the Justice Department to be effective before the U.S. Senate, it would be helpful’ if Gonzales resigned, Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Ore., told USA TODAY this afternoon.” (USA Today, 3/15/07) YES.
Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE):
“The American people deserve an attorney general, the chief law enforcement officer of our country, whose honesty and capability are beyond question . . .Attorney General Gonzales can no longer meet this standard. He has failed this country. He has lost the moral authority to lead.” (Washington Post, 5/16/07) YES
Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL):
“There are some problems that he just hasn't handled well, and it might just be best if he came to a conclusion that the department is better served if he's not there.” (AP, 4/20/07) NO.
Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA), Ranking Republican on Senate Judiciary Committee: “I have a sense that when we finish our investigation, we may have the conclusion of the tenure of the attorney general…I think when our investigation is concluded, it'll be clear even to the attorney general and the president that we're looking at a dysfunctional department which is vital to the national welfare.’” (Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing, 5/17/07) YES
Senator Lieberman:
No previous quote at my fingertips. NO
Sen. Norm Coleman (R-MN):Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., said Thursday that he would like to see Attorney General Alberto Gonzales resign, calling into question Gonzales’ credibility and his ability to focus on his job. ‘I don't believe that Gonzales has the type of leadership that the department needs,’ he said.” (Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 5/17/07) YES


2 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I think I got those right. Correct me if I messed up.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the live blog so I didn't have to ruin my lunch by watching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home