Friday, May 25, 2007




The World's Biggest Star Wars Party

Star Wars fans love to stand in line — for movie tickets, for Billy Dee Williams' autograph, for limited-edition anything. That much was clear Thursday, as a few thousand of them contentedly cooled their heels in a line that wound around the Los Angeles Convention Center on the first day of the largest Star Wars party in history, Celebration IV.

The event, only the fourth official Star Wars fan gathering ever, marks 30 years since a fictional galaxy far, far away burst into our cultural consciousness and gave grown men an excuse to hang onto their toy collections. By Memorial Day, organizers expect more than 25,000 would-be Wookiees and stormtroopers to have joined the party in L.A.

(snip)

Celebration IV kicked off with a total-immersion program — a free screening of all six of George Lucas' Star Wars films back-to-back, a 17-hour marathon with intermissions, attended by 3,000 extreme fans.


30 years ago, my little brother was VERY luck to have a cool 16 year old sister. I joined the pre-release Star Wars figure club and got the complete set with the Darth Vadar case for Chris for Christmas..... 5 whole months before it came out!!

Wanna bet he was the envy of all his little buds? You know it. Plus, if he hadn't played with the damn things and kept them in pristine condition, they'd be worth a chunk of change.

3 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Hear that Chris? Damn kids, playing with their toys.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah I know. Keep reminding me. Put they were fun to play with. Wasn't that the point? I guess the fact that the box set is worth like 2-3k right now should make me kick myself...

But you were a good sister.

Except for the times you did evil wicked things to me like telling me I was hatched from an egg when I was 6.

Chris

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Tell you that you were hatched from an egg? Nuh uh mister, I CONVINCED you with fake birth certificate and everything.

And I don't think you were a day over 5!!! How's that for torture?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home