Saturday, April 14, 2007

Furners

I know it's all cool to not read and ever leave 'Merica, lest you run into someone who speaks a foreign language or believes in science, but we here at cliffschecter.com take a slightly different view.

You could call it un-Republican or a synonym, un-retarded.

We actually realize what happens abroad has an impact here, and around the world. So with that, I send you to a great Kos diary, that will help you understand the stakes, players, media and strategy involved in the upcoming presidential election in France.

Fun Story: Their version of David Duke, a wonderful man by the name of Jean-Marie Le Pen, sometimes gets too many votes for comfort in the South of the country (he actually snuck into the presidential runoff in 2002).

So when I was living in England in 1993, I traveled over to France at least half a dozen times. As I was a college student at the University of Pennsylvania at the time, I wore my typical beat up, blue Penn sweat shirt. One day I was in Paris, and some kids started yelling epithets at me, and I thought they were going to attack me. I had to try and explain in my--at the time--broken French, that Penn was not equal to Pen. A good time for everyone.

Luckily, if I remember that part of my life correctly, I was probably drunk.

8 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly Ivins spelled this "Furriners." Just so ya know.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Nuttin' ain't no good lessen it comes from Merka or Wal-Mart.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

I hear a little more of a slur from the r to the n myself barbara. But I do defer to Molly, always...

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...France and Le Pen! You would be amazed at how many Frenchies I hear that actually like that nit wit.

I'm not sure who they are going to end up with in the final run-off, I don't think Le Pen will get in this time. He kind of reminds me of Ralph Nader, I can see him crawling out from under his rock every election, looking for signatures to get on the ballot.


There were many who were hoping for Royal....I'm not sure if it's because of her platform or the way she looks in a bikini. All I know is that those French who are very anti-American, will vote for her because she already made it clear that she won't work with the US. Like Bush, she never seems to explain where she's going to get the money for all the programs she's promising. In fact, she reminds me a LOT of Bush, her campaign in nothing but PR and photo-ops.

Sarkozy on the other hand loves the US and wants to work closer with us. Yikes! A new poodle for Bush!

Damn, I know more about French politics than I should....and I've had way too much French wine tonight.

Glad you didn't get beat up in France, Cliff, although I don't think they would have hurt you too bad. If they did....free medical care! See? Always a rainbow after the storm.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger ohdave said...

Cliff, why do some of your posts have no comment functionality. I wanted leave a comment about Giuliani: he's speaking at Regent U Tuesday; THAT Regent U where all of the DOJ geniuses came from.

More kissing the ring.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

Hi All:

I just posted a funny video about McCain on my blog and wanted to share it with you! ;)

McCain

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

That story is funny but if you were in Mexico and they thought pene, it would definitely get you in trouble.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

pene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home