Wednesday, April 04, 2007

At This Rate I May Not Get My DSL Until After Paddy, Damn It!

Hi folks. My name is Cliff Schecter. You may remember me from such television shows as Cleta Mitchell is a moron and Rush Limbaugh likes Oxycontin.

Ok, non-Simpsons fans, we'll move onto the post. First of all, I am here, albeit briefily, as I sit in a Panera drinking chai latte (you can take the guy off the East Coast...). I was told I was getting my DSL today. What that means is they "delivered it" today, and it is not turned on until tomorrow. That would be anytime between 8AM and 8PM. I love moving.

So sorry for my extended absence. But with the excellent job the bloggers have been doing around here, I am not sure my presence here is relevant any longer. And don't take that the wrong way, I am very pleased. They are awesome.

One thing I will say quickly, is you may remember that BC wrote a post a few days back about how the Republicans are very worried about Ohio. I would link but I don't have the time in this 20 minute visit to Panera. But it was probably on Monday. Well, in any case, the GOP should be worried.

You hear a lot about states like New Mexico and Colorado, where more liberal voters from California or New York or Massachusetts are settling down. Ohio is supposed to be a place from which people are fleeing. And some of the older industrial towns do tell that sad story. But Columbus is a diferent story. In growing suburbs like the one I live in, which you could compare to relatively well-off suburbs of Chicago, New York or DC, the residents have all moved in the last year (new development) and where they are from is a who's who of blue states. One couple from Rockville, MD, another from Seattle, Washington and still another from Rochester, NY (etc. and so forth).

The GOP brand is dirt here, and many former Republicans I am meeting are proudly calling themselves Democrats or Independents. So you do the math. A huge GOP scandal (coingate), Bob Ney off to prison, huge election victories by the Dems in 2006, a dying manufacturing base due to corporatist GOP policies (sadly with some Dems going along for the ride) and newer more liberal folks moving into the Columbus area. Who vote.

No wonder Chris Van Hollen, who is heading up the DCCC effort in 2008, recently said that they will be targeting SIX seats in Ohio, half of which are in the Columbus area. If the Democrats play this right, 2008 could be a bloodbath for the GOP here.

Now off to pray to the DSL Gods (I guess I have also maintained that famous East Coast lack of monotheism.)

8 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Hi Cliff!!!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! I left for the day and missed Cliff!!! Shucks...I can't win. The White Sox blew the game I was at, there was actual snow flurries during the game, for gosh darned sakes (like my non-swearing?) and now I come back and see I missed the man.

Hang in there Cliff...in a few weeks you'll look back on this move and say..."That sucked, but at least I'm settled now". Oh...and you missed the picture of you I put up on the blog earlier! Shucks and darnit again. :-)

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Cliffie!

Trying to sign on here, once again. We'll see if it works this time.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well awrighty then.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Hey dere, CliffDog!

So, since when have ANY hook-ups to a new home come in on time? Frustrating, but true.

The bloggers ARE excellent, but don't think you're not very much missed.

And thanks for the great Ohio news. We eat that kind of stuff up over here in CommentLand, you know. : )

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

Hi Cliff!

I hope your DSL hookup goes well tomorrow! Moving is so much fun, when dealing with the utilities, etc. But, hope you're enjoying your new home! ;)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cliff,

I was born and raised in Springfield, OH and I even lived in Columbus for a while. You're right Columbus isn't really a typical rust belt town at all. What area of Columbus did you move to? You have to go to the Short North for the gallery hop! It will remind you of Chelsea NYC if you get homesick (You are from New York right?). The plane flight isnt bad to any of the east coast cities. If you're willing to fly Southwest you can get a two way ticket for less than 150 bucks.

Keep on Keepin' On!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger ohdave said...

Here's another thing about Ohio. Whereas the Democrats currently have a pretty deep bench, who do the GOP have to throw out there in state wide office? Even our losers last time, like Cranley, Wulsin and Kilroy, were great candidates. And look who is going after Chabot in the first:

Next year, if he decides to seek an eighth term, Chabot is likely to face a Democratic challenger whose family is well known in the GOP enclaves of Cincinnati's west side suburbs and who has made a career of winning elections in a Republican-leaning Ohio House district - State Rep. Steve Driehaus.


The Price Hill Democrat has already had discussions with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) about taking on Chabot in 2008; and will be in a perfect position to do it - his eight years in the Ohio House under Ohio's term limits law will be ending and Driehaus will have to move on.


We've got Subodh Chandra out there waiting in the wings.

Who do the GOP have? John Husted? Are you serious? The guys' ties to lobbyists are a riot. Hell, even I could write a good commercial against him. He's a joke. In fact, I think the real reason Cliff moved here was that Husted was such an easy target. Let him run for whatever he wants to run for. If we can't be him, we don't deserve to win.

Who else do they have? Jean Schmidt?

Every Republican in Ohio in office right now is so tainted with corruption that it's going to be an uphill battle for them.

Hey S-Q, I like your blog and I like your avatar even better. Nice post you guys had on Iglesias.

Cliff, this is also a reminder of that favor you promised to do for me. I don't want to nag you with another email.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home