Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I have now fulfilled BushCo.'s fondest dream

I had no computer for 6 days. I had no access to information that would challenge what passes for news on TV and in the L.A. Times (my local paper). To make matters more frustrating, I traveled to the San Diego area for two days where the only access to news was the U.S.A. Today provided by the hotel, and the limited number of channels on their TV (CNN and Faux Noise).

I'm GottaLaff and I am a news/blogoholic.

I was in hell. I had no idea what was actually happening in the world. During the time I did have access to a TV, it was all trapped miners all the time. USA Today was like reading a comic book, the best part being the huge, colorful weather page.

Despite a brief wave of blissful ignorance (and by brief, I mean about 3 seconds), it was revelatory to discover why so many people have so little knowledge about vital matters that directly affect their daily lives.

I had no way to read the opinions of others, no way to dig for details that would take me beyond the headlines and talking points, no way to answer back, no way to expand my understanding of the facts I was being force-fed...repeatedly.

And then it hit me: During those 6 days, my world view was roughly equivalent to that of the leader of the free world. This is what it's like to be Bush, to only hear what is tailored for his ears and to see only what is intended for his eyes to shape an outlook so narrow and so lacking in depth and variety that there is very little wiggle room for questions or dissent.

I'm so glad to be back . I need a fix like you wouldn't believe. And I am now saving up for a second computer so that this never happens again.

11 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

What kills me is that so many people do have access to computers and other news sources, but don't take the time to read.

This is one reason why it takes so long for pendulums to swing.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Laffy! I can't imagine what you went through -it sounds like hell!!

I don't think I could do it. I didn't have internet access or cable for about 8 hours a couple of weekends ago and I thought I would go nuts!

It's all better now...don't overdo it and shock your system...ease back in.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Glad to have you back, Laffy.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

Thank you!!! I missed you like crazy, honestly.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and about that dual addiction thing you've got going there? I hear that the expensive rehabs in So. Cal. suck so don't waste your money.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Hi Gottalaff!

Here, I'll get you caught up.
1) Bush fear mongered.
2) Democrat's in the House caved.
3) Then they all went on vacation.

That should cover it.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

ME,
Ooooh. So, business as usual?

Gimme:
Linds and I are THIS tight. She'll sneak me in and I won't have to pay a dime.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be glad you weren't stuck in El Paso. The paper there sucks so bad, it isn't even funny.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

JANB,
I'm not sure I'd even open a paper there.

This was really culture shock. I'd forgotten what it was like to be uninformed. Yikes. Not pleasant.

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comparison to Bush was right on, but it wasn't exactly like being Bush. You actually READ a newspaper.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

binzbok,
My bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home