Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Rudy, This Is The Republican Primary, Remember?

Sometimes, I wonder if Rudy Giuliani realizes he is running in the Republican primary. Take his answer to this question about his religion.

A man in the high school multipurpose room asked him if he were a "traditional practicing Catholic."

Giuliani did not pause.

My religious affiliation, my religious practices and the degree to which I am a good or not-so-good Catholic, I prefer to leave to the priests," he said in a controlled low voice.

"That would be a much better way to discuss it," he said. "That's a personal discussion and they have a much better sense of how good a Catholic I am or how bad a Catholic I am."

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy. While almost all New Yorkers and many Americans agree with your statement, the base of the Republican Party does not. To many GOPers, your religion is your qualification. Just look at the dust-up between Gov. Huckabee and Sam Brownback.

So expect more questions like this. And be prepared, because your current answer will not satisfy those who really care about your religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home