Sunday, June 03, 2007



I just sat thru the most annoying McLaughlin Group evah (and Tony Blankley wasn't even there). Is John in the pocket of Unity '08 or what? They actually spent the entire show chatting about "third party candidates" and then segued that into a discussion of Unity '08 and a Bloomberg run.

As you may guess, I spend an inordinate amount of time in the intertubes, and nobody, I MEAN NOBODY is discussing a third party at this point as even a far fetched possibility.

Did a Google blog search, and all I'm seeing is joke references i.e. John Amato's fav ticket- Hannity/Gerstein.

Am I missing something? Is there really a groundswell for a Bloomberg/Hagel ticket? Is Sam Waterston smarter than he seems? Okay, scratch that last one, I got carried away.

Anyone seeing any rumblings for a third party ticket? Heck, even their website looks deserted. Are you hearing anything about this other than jokes? Please let me know, I'm curious.

8 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Even Buchanan seemed to think it was silly.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Ashen Shard said...

Well, I think the growing discussion about a third party candidacy is not because there actually is a viable third party candidate at this point, but because of the drop of those who identify themselves as Republican or Democrat and the rise in Independents, which you posted about on Friday. The question, however, should be whether or not these people who identify themselves as independent will bolster the viability of a third party, or if they will continue to vote Democratic or Republican as they have done in the past, showing the identification of 'Independent' to be only a moderate frustration with Dems and Repubs.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that the official name for this party is None Of The Above.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my question

how does two Republicans translate to a "unity ticket"

just who is going to be unified?

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do any of these pundits dare ask the question, "When was the last time a third-partty candidate won the presidency?"

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Actually, I'll give the show that they did put up screen caps of the larger 3rd party runners in the past, and the percentage the got. (My first presidential vote- John Anderson, did alot worse than I remembered!).

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear lots of "what we need is a third party" talk at the American Legion bar I sometimes have a beer at after work, but I think any viable shot at building an actual third party was shot down during Bush v Gore in 2000.
Now it's all about making the strongest vote you can against the republicans.
Even among a lot of hard core Legion members- of which I am not.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Bert said...

Well. Maybe. Newt was being all coy about running on "Fox News Sunday". He's gonna announce in September.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home