Friday, May 18, 2007



Wow, I'm also not a computer expert,
but I'm sure this isn't supposed to happen.


Symantec software deletes PC files
By Mure Dickie in Beijing

Published: May 18 2007 22:45

Software sold in China by Symantec, the world’s largest computer security company, Friday suddenly attacked the very PCs it was supposed to protect.

The surprise switch by Symantec’s Norton anti-virus software from digital gamekeeper to poacher hit users of Chinese-language versions of Microsoft’s Windows XP operating system.

An online update of the anti-virus software prompted it to confuse inoffensive but essential XP files as a hostile “Trojan horse” and to delete them. Affected PCs that are switched off cannot be restarted unless the files are reinstalled.

5 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

One of the few time that I can honestly say I'd sue their asses off.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virus protection software deleting Microsoft Windows?

I don't understand, isn't that what it is supposed to do, get rid of known hazards and crapware that have been installed on your computer?

Seems reasonable to me!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

Ha!! Guess you're right Jer.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

I do that to my own computer all the time. All I have to do is look at it. It's kind of a knack.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Ironwoodtree said...

I'm totally not surprised. I've been running computer networks for years and antivirus software has caused me almost as many problems as it solves. The only one I actually like is Kaspersky and it's not perfect either.

But you still have to use something and be careful what you click on. I got so sick of the situation I bought a Macbook for home. No antivirus necessary since there aren't enough Macs around to make it worthwhile to write trojans for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home