Monday, May 21, 2007

Immigration Debate

One of the things that I really like about this medium, is that I'm allowed to express my opinions on any subject that comes to mind. I'm a bit of an opinionated SOB, and am rarely at a loss for words.

But I have to admit, I'm not sure what to make of the immigration bill. I've heard the Lou Dobbs' of the world rail against amnesty, as well as some on the left complain about the bill allowing businesses to continue to take advantage of cheap migrant labor. Plus, there are provisions that supposedly place more weight on an immigrant having a job than on family concerns.

I'm left to wonder, if both sides hate, does that mean its the perfect compromise?

Is this bill really making the best of a bad situation, and is that the best we can hope for?

I'm ready and willing to be convinced for or against this bill. So, folks, tell me why I should be for (or against) this legislation.

1 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The bill is simply terrible for US high-tech workers. It greatly expands the H-1B visas. It begins by doubling them, and then adds 20 % a year. Any year the cap is hit, we add more.

This is a permanent class of high-tech workers to compete against our own children and other displaced workers. Every day, more people lose their jobs to outsourcing, and kids come from college who must work at Starbuck's. We don't need these high-tech scabs here to steal our high-tech jobs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home