Thursday, April 12, 2007

Leahy goes on a tear. And I love it.

While I am not a tech expert, I also know that the actual computers themselves on which the messages were read must also be reviewed. After all, these messages were presumably sent to mailboxes in Outlook or Lotus Notes where they were also read or filed--or were these e-mails only Blackberry to Blackberry? (I highly doubt it!) This means that Congress must also get its hands on the hardware and the White House's (1) hardware policy; and (2) actual computers--both in use and discarded--if it can.

In that vein, I wonder what happens to computers used in the WH after they are cycled through and replaced with new computers. For if there is a repository with Rove's and everyone's old computers, let's get them!

Moreover, what about personal computers that were used for government purposes?

I am curious to hear what people think....

4 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Linc!

I'm pretty sure from what I've seed of the emails to date online that they're Outlook emails. That would mean that they most likely are housed and routed through originally on a Microsoft Exchange Server. With any web-based mail server service (yahoo, gmail,etc)and Outlook you would generally "download" your email to a file on your hard drive (.pst)and view in Outlook from there. Some webmail gives you the option of "keeping a copy on the server".

Now, if the emails are being routed through MS Exchange Server the default on a PC or laptop is to view your mail (and calendar,etc.) directly from the server. The server stores your mail, calendar contacts. That is actually the Preferred method in business because your network admins and security people can archive your mail.

Now that's gonna be the rub here. Because with Outlook/Exchange you can ALSO create that .pst file and save your Exchange mail to your hard drive. You can instruct Outlook to pull the mail from the server. It's not hard to do and I don't think that a mail admin can prevent it without seriously restricting access on the receiving PC or laptop.

So even if the RNC and WH did what they were supposed to do archiving email, there is definately a way around storing mail on the server.

Mail that's been going to KR's blackberry will stay on a server until it's downloaded elsewhere.

I personally can't wait until the mail admins from RNC and WH are asked to testify.

As a mail admin myself, I might take that day off.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw on Think Progress that CREW is reporting that 5 million emails are missing from the WH from 2003 - 05. Now I want to know what happened to the back-up tapes.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger GottaLaff said...

www.citizensforethics.org/node/27603

That's the CREW report. I was just about to post that info when I read your comment, Gimmeabreak! Great minds and all....

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger ohdave said...

If they've contacted forensic experts I'm very suspicious. It's for the purpose of scrubbing the emails from the server, not tracking them down.

What liars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home