Monday, May 21, 2007

photo by AP


See! Cliff moved back just in time!

CBS

Midwest Bracing For Cicada Invasion
"Brood XIII" Set To Emerge In Force For First Time In 17 Years


(AP) Coming soon: Brood XIII. It sounds like a bad horror movie. But it's actually the official name of the billions of periodical cicadas expected to emerge this month in parts of the Midwest after spending 17 years underground.

The red-eyed, shrimp-sized, flying insects don't bite or sting. But they are known for mating calls that produce such a din as to overpower ringing telephones, lawn mowers and power tools.


COMMENT FROM CLIFF: Damn it, I was in Washington last year when they woke up from that seventeen year hangover and went rampaging. Always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Although, at least my cats will be psyched--it was good eats for them for a month. Oh, and cicadas may suck, but better them than Republicans.

3 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

Yadda Yadda.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

The year I got married was a year of the cicada. It gave me the comfort to know that at least my husband would remember or anniversary once every 17 years. This year, will be the happy 34th year. Whooopie! My dad said it would never last. Heh!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Jill said...

We are so being scammed. I remember the cicado infestation in June 2004 - because I drove from Cleveland to Wash., D.C. for my college reunion - and I have pictures to prove we saw the cicadas in PA and MD at the rest stops. Ugh. And we wonder how many days 40 days and 40 nights really was for Noah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home