Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I just returned from Cincinnati where I spent Thankgiving with family. Sadly, also in the Queen City, Goodyear has continued to show their workers how little they value their labor.

It really struck me that this is exactly where progressives/populists need to be drawing the battle lines. Not only is it the right thing to do, but as Sherrod Brown and Ted Strickland showed in their very successful populist campaigns, if Democrats want to win again in Ohio, they must once again prove they are on the side of working Americans.

The Akron based Goodyear has cut jobs, wages, healthcare and pensions for years while making millionaires out of corporate humps who suck off the tete of actual labor they would never lower themselves to do. And hey, why bother when the continual flow of increased salaries and perks makes it more likely they'll see Fiji for the second time this year than an actual factory floor.

Now they want to close a plant in Tyler, Texas and can 1,100 workers, after posting their highest profits in seven years and of course giving out huge bonuses to old, fat, balding white guys with names like Chip.

The AFL-CIO has joined the battle, and frankly, this is the kind of fight progressives should be using to define the real "center" of American politics over the next generation.

4 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Paddy said...

What you doing there Cliff? Take a day trip and come visit me in IN- beautiful weather now and some incredible produce at the markets!!

I'm enjoying the poop outta the whole OJ/Fox thing imploding. And I do so love O'Reilly trying to take the credit for the implosion.
If you made him up, no one would believe you!!

Oh, and that Goodfriend guy is doing okay on MSNBC, but he doesn't have your um, spark.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Hey Paddy,

I am visiting my wife's family in the great swing state. Indiana, huh? Help us turn that place blue...the job losses should do it alone...

Next time I'll let you know ahead of time and maybe we can grab a drink...

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

Indiana is getting bluer.

I worked for Donnelly here in South Bend this last one and gave moral and spiritual help to Barry Welsh also.

It's funny, but the real reason IN gave up 3 seats to the D's was the utter hatred up here for Mitch Daniels the Guv. (late of Bushies OMB). Our state legislature went blue also.

I love OH, my brother lives outside of Cleveland. Gorgeous scenery and really neat old houses.

I saw the author of "Whistling Past Dixie" on C-span this am. Very good speaker and sounds like an interesting book. Gotta learn everything I can to get prepared for '08.

Things have to change-

Enjoy your holiday & your family!!
P

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Cliff Schecter said...

Paddy,

I am glad people like you are working to make Indiana Bluer. We know it can be done.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too. And BTW that author you saw is Tom Schaller. His book Whistling Past Dixie is excellent, one of the best political strategy books out there. I recommend you pick up a copy, you'll see what I mean.

Happy Holidays (ha ha O'Reilly) again my friend.

Cliff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home